Guys in long-term relationships often make mistakes that risk causing a breakup without even realizing they’re doing it. Take note of these common errors:
• Failing to show empathy. Work on your ability to recognize her feelings by actually listening to what she says.
• Being selfish outside of the bedroom. She needs affection throughout the day, not just in bed when you’re in the mood.
• Excluding her from decisions. Spending a lot of money without discussing it with her first can create huge problems in the relationship. Don’t think of yourself as the “leader” in the family, but as a partner with, well, your partner. Would you be okay with her spending $2,000 on a pair of designer shoes without checking in with you?
• Hiding your feelings. Just as she wants you to listen to how she feels, you must speak up and express your own. Communication is key for a close connection in relationships.
• You’re always in charge. Unless she wants you to be in charge of everything, she will pull away if you try to be dominant and make demands as a matter of course.